The Short Loans section in the Library is where we keep books and other items that are needed by large numbers of students.
How do I borrow Short loan items?
- To borrow an item, you will need the shelf number of the book which can be found using Primo.
- Visit the Short loans section where our staff will retrieve the materials you need at your request.
What may I borrow from the Short loans collections?
- Books that have been identified by lecturers or library staff as likely to be in high demand.
- These books are removed from the open shelves and placed in the Short Loans section.
DVDs and Videos
- Short Loans houses only DVDs and videos that have been prescribed by lecturers.
- Only original copies of videos and DVDs are kept in the Short Loans Centre.
- DVDs and videos in the main library collection are available at the Loans Desk.
How long is the loan period?
Short loan items are issued out usually for 3 hours or overnight. This is to ensure that these items are accessible to everyone who needs them. Remember to return them to back to Short Loans.
Instructions for Lecturers
Lecturers may place their own private copies of books on short loan.
An agreement document covering the placement of private copies on short loan is available on request. Please complete and sign this when supplying private copies.
How to place materials on short loan
- Lecturers must fill in a Short Loans request form at Short Loans when handing in material to be placed on short loan.
- Lecturers with large classes may request that additional copies of a book be purchased for the Short Loans Centre by contacting the relevant Subject Librarian.
Please note that books that are locally available must be ordered at least one month prior to the date that they will be required on short loan. Books from overseas must be ordered four months in advance.