Use your student card to borrow books, DVDs or CDs at the Loans Desk or use our self-checkout machine.
|Loan Limit||Loan Period||Renewal Period|
|Undergraduates||6 items||7 days||28 days|
|Postgraduates||12 items||35 days||140 days|
|Staff||30 items||90 days||180 days|
CDs, DVDs and journals are issued for 3 days and are renewable.
Items that have been requested by another library user may not be renewed.
Can't find a book on the shelf?
Request the book online. You will receive an email when the book is available for you to collect.
Books may be issued using the self-service machine available at the Loans Desk in the following libraries:
- Chancellor Oppenheimer Library
- Bongani Mayosi Health Sciences Library
- Brand van Zyl Law Library.
In our other libraries, books will be issued to you at the circulation desk.
Can journals be borrowed?
Postgraduate students and staff members may borrow 6 bound journals for 3 days, in addition to the items listed above. Journal loans may not be renewed.
You can request a library item that's out on loan, from a branch library or another university.
Request a book online or by visiting the Loans Desk.
How long will it take to get a book?
The person who has it out on loan will be given a maximum of 7 days to return the book. For urgent requests, visit the Loans Desk staff who will do their best to retrieve the item as quickly as possible.
Request a book from a Branch Library
Request the book online. Specify a pick-up location for the book and the book will be transferred on your behalf. You will receive an email when the book is available for you to borrow.
Theses and Dissertations
- Visit OpenUCT for a digital copy of a UCT master's dissertation or doctoral thesis.
- Alternatively, please submit a request to Digital Library Services to have one digitised.
Request items from other universities
Available at Chancellor Oppenheimer Library
Visit the Loans Desk
Remember to bring your student/staff number or call your nearest Branch Loans Desk.
Registered UCT postgraduate students and staff may borrow books for extended loan periods over the long mid-year and year-end vacations.
The Loans Desk staff will issue books to you with a condition that the Library can recall a book at any time.
If someone else requests a book that you have out on vacation loan, the Library will recall the book and you must then return the book at once, even if that means using a commercial courier.
The notice is to remind you of the due date and inform you that a fine will accrue should your books not be returned in time.
What happens if I return my books after the due date?
- Late returns: R2.00 per day.
- Late returns on recalled books (requested by another borrower): R5.00 per day
- Fines accrue to a maximum of R50 per item.
- Fines R50.00 or more: Triggers an automate system "block" which prevents you from borrowing further items until the fine is paid.
Lost a library book?
- Go to the Loans Desk and inform the staff.
- Lost library materials must be paid for by the borrower who has lost them.
- An additional handling charge of R250 (to cover the costs of reordering, cataloguing, and processing) will be payable per item.