Welcome to UCT Libraries
This year we will be offering virtual support through our UCT Libraries website, where we have various channels of communication. So, please feel free to reach out with whatever makes you feel more comfortable. Whether you are working on your assignment, essay, tutorial or project, not knowing how to find resources or simply do not understand how referencing works, we are here to help you no matter what.
Reach out and get to know your librarians or just Ask a Librarian online. You will be amazed at how much support we can give you. Wishing you all the best for your academic year and don’t forget UCT Libraries is always there to assist.
UCT Libraries will be your study partner and sanctuary
What the Libraries can do for Postgraduates
Explore 9 ways the Libraries can help you get started on your academic journey
We understand that making the transition from school to university is daunting and, at times, scary. Once your formal lectures commence, you will realise there are many new learning experiences and all the information provided may be overwhelming. Explore 9 ways we can help you get started on your academic journey:
1. What is UCT Libraries?
UCT Libraries is a network of 7 libraries across all UCT campuses, which offers state-of-the-art technology, vast collections of reading and research material, and the specialised services of friendly, efficient and helpful staff.
2. What can UCT Libraries do for me?
From day one, UCT Libraries is your information and learning partner. Between and after lectures, we offer you:
- a safe and comfortable physical study space, friendly library staff to assist and guide you with your studies both online and in person
- a Virtual Library Service which you can access from home and/or from anywhere you may choose.
3. When do I need the libraries?
From the time you receive your reading lists and first assignment topic, explore our website and start your learning journey.
- Use the Assignment/Project Orientation Guide and our study resources to learn about good academic practices and skills that will be to your benefit throughout your life as a student.
- Find library resources to complete your assignments within time and get the grade you want.
- Get to know your subject librarian as soon as possible to make sure they assist you from the start.
4. How do I search for information on the Libraries website?
Use our simple search tool Primo located on our Libraries website to search a whole new world of books, ebooks, videos, articles, digital media and more. Learn how to use Primo or find more ways to explore our library resources.
Did you know the Libraries website is Zero-rated?
Access the Libraries website for free from Cell C, Telkom, Vodacom and MTN mobile networks. Visit the full list of UCT websites that are zero-rated. Get internet access from any of these Eduroam-affiliated locations off-campus. Learn more about Eduroam
5. How do I borrow and return books?
Browse the shelves
Browse books on the shelves and borrow books using self-service machines at some libraries.
Request books via Primo
Request books via Primo and select one of the pick-up locations to collect books.
- Simply sign in to Primo and request the book(s) that interest you.
- Select a Pickup Location for your request.
- Wait for the email confirmation to collect.
Hold requests and recalls
You can place a hold request via Primo for an item that is currently on loan to someone else.
6. Do you only have serious materials in the Library?
No, we also have fun materials including popular fiction in all genres, graphic novels, and board games such as chess, jigsaw puzzles, etc. Do let us know what you would like to read so that we may grow our collection.
7. Do you have eBooks?
8. What are the opening hours of the Library?
9. How can I get help?
- Ask a Librarian - Take a look at the suggestions as you type in the search box or browse our answers.
- Subject Guides - Browse useful resources for every subject area
- How-to Videos - Visit our YouTube channel to upskill yourself in navigating our online resources and more
- Make a Virtual Appointment with one of our friendly librarians.
- Email email@example.com
- Get Referencing & Information Support
- Follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.